Toughened Safety Glass
Toughened safety glass is five times stronger than regular annealed glass. Its ability to shatter into small, relatively harmless granules makes ideal for architectural installations and high traffic areas.
Toughened glass is also known as tempered glass. It’s a type of safety glass created through a process of chemical or controlled thermal treatments. This process gives the glass far more strength than normal glass by compressing the outer and inner surfaces into tension.
It is more resistant to thermal shock, making it ideal for use in architectural applications where there is unfavourable shading.
When this type of glass is broken, it crumbles into small granular chunks. It doesn’t splinter or create jagged shards like plate glass does. These granular chunks are preferred because they are less likely to cause injuries.
Types of Toughened Glass
There are two main types of toughened or tempered glass. These are: heat-strengthened and fully tempered toughened glass. Heat-strengthened glass is about twice as strong as annealed glass, while fully tempered glass is about four to six times as strong as annealed glass.
The major difference between the two is the residual stress in the surface and glass edge. Fully tempered glass provides a stronger pressure resistance. The stiffness of the glass remains the same throughout the process. Effectively, fully tempered glass can withstand a higher load than heat-strengthened glass.
- Ideal for bolted structural glazing
- Used in most frameless applications.
- Sliding or patio doors
- Balcony enclosures
- Shower doors and bath enclosures
- Barriers e.g. pool fencing
- Large windows
- Squash courts (approved by the World Squash Federation)
- Where wind loads or hail protection are considerations.
Features & Benefits
- Can withstand a higher temperature compared to annealed glass.
- Up to 500% stronger than annealed glass
- More resistant to thermal breakage
- Can withstand greater wind loads
- On breaking it fragments into many small harmless pieces, unlike annealed glass
- Can be used within a temperature range of minus 70°C to plus 300°C
- Hail resistance
- 4mm Clear Toughened Safety Glass
- 5mm Clear Toughened Safety Glass
- 6mm Clear Toughened Safety Glass
- 8mm Clear Toughened Safety Glass
- 10mm Clear Toughened Safety Glass
- 12mm Clear Toughened Safety Glass
- 15mm Clear Toughened Safety Glass
- Double Glazed units can incorporate 4/5/6mm TSG
- Double Glazed units can incorporate 4/5/6mm low-e TSG
- Armourplate® is available in thicknesses ranging from 4 mm – 19 mm.
- Available in the following colours: Clear, Grey, bronze, Serene Green
- All the single glaze options also available in Low -E coated
Framed and frameless glass office partitioning
Modern architectural aluminium fixtures for contemporary buildings.
Open up your living spaces and bring the outdoors in!
Talk to us about your next project. Our friendly sales team will be happy to advise you on the most innovative solutions. Durban or Johannesburg - Call: 0861 111 717
Ready for a quotation? Click here: